Search AbideInSelf

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 12, 2008

DASSARA FESTIVAL

What's the meaning of 'Dassara', a traditional hindu festival! Is it just the Victory of Rama over Ravana (Victory of Good against Evil) as told in the childhood?

Dassara festival is a Celebration of RECOGNIZING What I am NOT, that is...Ten heads of Ravana...
(as described in mythology)!

Seeing directly, what I am certainly Not, these ten things. The burden of ten sticks this apparent 'me' carries, until it recognizes itself!

What I am certainly not? First Body (1), second Prana/Breath (2) hence not mind (3) which is extension of breath hence not even thoughts. I am neither identified consciousness(4) as it is identified & recognized from the age of 2 and will disappear on dropping of the body, so certainly temporal. When I am not this consciousness also, how can I be three states by which this consiousness operates, like knowingness (5), waking state(6) & sleeping state (7)! At the same time when I am not this consiousness also, how can I be three gunas (attributes) by which this consciousness  functions, such as satva-guna (8), rajas-guna (9) and tamas-guna (10)!

What remains after the negation of 
ten identities, ten heads of Ravana is THAT
Indescribable, which does not fall in "subject-object type" knowing. No one can know it!

Recognition of IT just Happens.
Celebration remains without A Celebrator;-)!

Happy Dassara :-)

With Love,

Nitin Ram
10 OCT 2008

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

as the Ram(truth) appear and reveal it self .Each head of dasanan (the ignorance)strats droping one by one.on the day of vijayadasmi there happens celebration ,only ram remains as ever.
_()_

Iris said...

Very deep and needs deeper pondering. thanks nitin.
:)

Iris

Indiaspirituality Amrut said...

Indiaspirituality Amrut Oct 23, 2012

For the first time, I have found the analogy of dassera from Advaita Standpoint.

Subramanian Ch said...

Subramanian Ch Oct 23, 2012

Thanks for sharing from no standpoint. 

Indiaspirituality Amrut said...

Very deep. Nice analogy from Advaita Standpoint :)

The killing of I by the I-I :)

Nitin Ram said...

Thank you ... Love